Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My View

I try to keep my posts pretty light and fun but I just had to get this out so bear with me. Last week I heard Governor Palin speak as she was accepting the invitation to be John McCain's running mate. Her words moved me. Here was a woman that I could relate to. She has 5 children and helped with their hockey teams and joined the PTA. All of these things made me like her. She seemed warm and genuine. She understands what the real world is. I found myself admiring everything about her and thinking in my head, I could do that. I could put myself out there to make this a better country and world for my kids to grow up in. Through all this something was still nagging at the back of my mind, a little discomfort. Then is hit me, how much more of an impact could she make on the world by being a stay at home mom? Some would argue not as much. I disagree. We all know that our country is in a bad way. I see teenagers walking around in their Goth or gang wear and wonder, where are their parents? Why do the parents allow such disrespect in their children? Laura Ingram calls it “the Pornification of America.” I call it a disintegration of traditional family values. Most of the problems ailing our society today could be avoided if the children of our country were taught good moral values from a mother who was home and available for them during their crucial formative years.

I thought, how wonderful would it be if Governor Palin stood up in front of the whole country and said, "I am declining the Vice Presidency because I am needed at home." That would make an impact on the whole country that would be a topic of discussion for years to come. What an amazing example she could be! This country needs to know that the job of motherhood is the most important job in the world.

10 comments:

Frehner Family said...

you go girl!

a-anderson said...

I love your view and totally agree. Kids need their mom's at home.

Haymore Family said...

I completely agree with what you said! As much as i think she is so great and am excited for her to be there, i agree she is strong and i can't imagine with this type of job being home or with her kids much! Every kid needs a good mom!

The Hatch's said...

As someone who has had to work outside of the home while beening a mother I agree with needing to be at home, but there are very good things about her accepting the vice presidentcy as being a mom too. She has the chance to be an example of a strong wife and mother to the world while bettering our contry. There are many mothers that have to work outside the home and feel awful about it and I think that this is an example to them and women in general that we can accomplish anything. And no I'm not a democrat ;) Just my opinion.

The Bodily Family said...

I don't disagree at all Lisa. I have had to work outside the home and I work now. I am so impressed by her and I think she is doing a wonderful job representing women and mothers. She has my vote. I just think all stay at home mom's have an important job and it would be amazing if the example could be set. Although people that don't understand the importance of a stay-at-home mom still wouldn't get it.

The Bodily Family said...

One more thing and then I'll keep my mouth shut. I know I can be anything and I choose to stay at home with my kids. There are already plenty of powerful women out there. There are also those women who given the choice, choose to leave great careers and powerful positions to care for their children. I just thought that would be a great role model for the vice presidential nominee.

prRiggs said...

Holly, you echoed our thoughts almost exactly. She can make a difference and an impact as a vp, but once this life is over, what will she want the most?...and I think that my standing up for moms being moms, she can set an example for others in the same situation.

The Braun Family said...

Let me just say that we need to be careful about how we judge others. We need to be careful that unless we have walked in their shoes we cannot judge individuals harshly. Whether it's the VP candidate or the woman next door. As a whole, women should be home with their children, no question. But there are many factors that we are not aware of. Let me tell you, I have had many arguements with Heavenly Father over the past couple years about the path my life has taken and He of course has won, but that's between him, my husband, and I--noone else. We are all given different talents, different opportunities, and different missions to accomplish. We can't universally judge, it's not our place. Sara Palin, just think what she can accomplish, just think of the good she can do as a mother and for mothers. Who knows, maybe she was put on this earth for such a time as this. That's my soapbox, I'm done now.

The Bodily Family said...

I guess I feel like I am entitled to make a judgement call on the people I elect for office. Like I said before she has my vote because I feel like she does understand me more than other candidates and even though I disagree with McCain on a lot of issues I disagree with Obama more.

The Baby Catcher said...

Reading these comments I agree with all of them. Sara's family will probably certainly experience challenges with this new job, but I do think our country will see women in a new light. I'm sure she will show her true "mom colors" in her job, and be great for our country at the same time. Mom's wear many different hats, and some are more public than others. I think this is part of HF's plan.